This week was my first week on the new floor with Ms. Fix. She is famous for giving students really hard patients, which I appreciate. I mean, we'll have to have them eventually anyway.
My first patient had a really supportive family, and one person was in the room with him 24/7. Really cool (and rare). Well the patient's nephew was talking about how he should have died 5 times--he's been shot, stabbed, run over, you name it. And basically gave glory to God for giving him life and for having a plan for his life. He said he didn't know why he was still alive, but there was a reason.
Well, I went out to the nurses station and was sharing with a friend how encouraging it was to hear this guy, and a resident that was at a nearby computer turned around and said, "Ah, to be young and see through rose-colored glasses," almost as if he's lived longer and knows better. I replied, "I think it has very little to do with age." He said, "Well, I'm not even that old but I wish I still thought that way," (or something along those lines). Then I left. He made me mad.
The next day my original patient was discharged to rehab, so I got a new patient. He was pretty out of it...both of these guys had already had craniotomies. Intense! I was feeding him sausage for breakfast, and in between each bite he would fall back asleep. And, as it turns out, he wasn't actually swallowing the sausage...only keeping it in his cheek. He was really nice and appreciative. He'll be going back to surgery this week. I feel really bad for him.
The bad thing about nursing is that you see alot of really bad things. Alot of patients who are in much pain and have little hope. It's important to remember that I can't actually heal anyone, only God can. I can only perform duties, but He is the healer. My first patient's nephew reminded me how important it is to intercede on their behalf.
Friday, April 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment