Wednesday, September 12, 2007

L&D

We had clinicals last week, but I don't remember much except that I was in 'couplet care' (taking care of a mom and baby together) and that I was still really nervous to walk into the patient's room.

This week, however, I will never forget. Today I worked on the labor and delivery unit....and I got to see a baby being born! It was different than I expected--the baby came so quickly I could barely get my gloves on. It was the woman's 5th child, so it was a pretty easy labor. She pushed once and the head (it was SO wrinlky!) came out, and on the second push the rest of the body popped out! Then my teacher and I dried her off, did a few tests, and gave it it's vitamin K shot and eye ointment. It happened so fast!

It's crazy to think of everything that can happen in a lifetime...and it all just started for this little girl. The mom was so happy. And the baby was so curious, opening her eyes every now and then to take a stretch. For such a neat day, I don't think I could say enough. It was just good.

No comments: