Today was a really fun day. For the first half, I was at Temple High School working with special needs kids and we went to the bowling alley. At first I was really scared and unsure, mainly because I didn't know what to expect. Some of the kids are so smart! One girl, Erica, is able to remember everyone's birthday...a coach came in and said, "Erica--what's my sister's name? What's my mommas name? What's my sister's birthday?" She answered them all correctly. The teacher was telling me that one time there was a visitor that Erica had briefly met 3 years prior and Erica still remembered her birthday, too! Some of my favorite lines,
"Miss Lauren, I'm a woman. What are you?"
"Who's your brother? Does he like stickers?"
"Who's your pastor? Don't tear up his Bible!"
There was also one kid named Sergei that seemed really smart, too. He told me all about how he was from Russia but his mom died. Now he's adopted and his dad is a pediatrician at Scott and White. A really kind kid. The teacher told me that he always comes to her upset because he thinks he doesn't have enough faith.
I could picture myself working with those kids someday. Maybe not right after school, and maybe not for a real long time, but at least for a little while. Today was an eye opening blessing.
After going to the school, I went with my friend, Liz, to WIC. I really liked it. Definitely another things I can picture myself doing someday. Well, community work, at least. It's really relaxed and you get to know the clients pretty well for the time that they're there. It's a good environment. Oh, and I saw the same baby whose birth I witnessed a few weeks ago! That was pretty cool : )
Last week in NICU was a blast, too! I took care of a 1 lb 12 oz baby who had a twin brother next to him. Previously I thought that all NICU babies were doomed (or something) but a nurse told me that S&W usually only has 5-6 deaths a year...so the survival rate is really high! That kind of made me look at things differently--like the work that I do there will actually make a difference in the baby's future...I could also picture myself there someday.
Oh dear, I like everything I do this semester...this could be a bad thing! ; )
Until next week....
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Lauren, I forgot about your nursing blog and have been missing all your posts this year--Bad Jennifer! But it was fun catching up on it tonight. I'm continually amazed at all of your eye-opening experiences that are so far outside of my realm. I'm really excited about all you're learning and so glad it's been such a positive semester!
Lots of love!
Post a Comment