Back at the hospital today! My friend, Liz, and I haven't been in the hospital for 2 weeks, so we were both a little rusty. I'm glad that I have her to go through things with! My patient was dilated to a 5 at 2:30 this afternoon and didn't progress at all, so they did a C section at about 8:00. I *never* want to have a C section. Well, I guess unless my life or the baby's life was in danger I could make an exception. But otherwise...no way!
My hat is off to the person who discovered/invented anesthesia. Seriously. I won't go into details, but the procedure is rough. The outcome, however, is the same--one cute baby! And the way we had her all wrapped up made her look like a little eskimo. Just precious. I love the labor and delivery floor.
Mrs. Emmerson mentioned in class the other day that the stories aren't always happy. Bad things happen, too. A bad thing happened today on the floor. I was standing by the computers listening to the charge nurse talk about a patient. I looked down at some papers nearby and could see a picture of a baby...it looked really, really bad. She saw me looking at it and handed it and a few others to me. It was one that they lost today--only 19 weeks gestation. You can imagine what the family and even the nurse were going through.
It's hard to remember that everything that happens, happens for the glory of the Lord. It's a little easier, looking in from the outside. But if I were the mother, would that be something that I would think about? If I were the nurse? What could I do or say to comfort? How could I make that conversation intentional enough to relay God's mercy and love? It made me think about how, when I AM a nurse, I would handle that kind of thing.
I hate to end this on a low note, but sometimes, that's just the way it is...
Despite the good or bad, there's always the....good or bad.
It's just life. And we are carried through.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment