I had three patients once again this week. Similar to last week, two were easy and one required a little more attention. She is 40 years old, chronic drug abuser, six kids, and has been in the hospital for over 70 days, and generally has a daily seizure.
My nurse and I got her into a special chair to give her a shower, because it had been QUITE some time. Out of fear (of seizing), she was hollering the whole time. People in the hall were wondering about us, no doubt! Her hair had been in a bun, but when we took it down to wash it we found that it was completely matted. The nurse director went and bought her a special conditioner and a comb. I worked on her hair for about 1 1/2 hours. Didn't get very much accomplished, so they are going to bring someone in to cut it for her.
We wheeled her around the floor to see people and look out the windows before I combed out her hair. She shielded her eyes from the light and sat there limp--she has lost all muscle control (from laying in a bed for two months straight). The nurse director came over and said, "April and Lauren are treating you really well, huh Ms. ____?" She mumbled, "Yeah, and this one is my favorite," and grabbed my hand. That's why I do this. Not to be a favorite, but to make an impact and do what I can to make someone's life or experience a little better. It is so satisfying to love doing something so much and to know that you are right where you should be...I just love this...
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment