I'd like to jot a few things down so I don't forget.
I took care of an OLD, OLD man (I wanted to ask him how old he was because that's all I could think about) one week on STC 5, and he couldn't feed himself...so I did. He was so hungry b/c he'd been NPO...we'd already gone through iced tea, mashed potatoes, 3 cups of pudding, 2 cups of water, and then we made it to the chocolate milk. He was drinking it and began coughing. I asked him if he was alright and he said yes, so I just figured it went down the wrong tube. All of a sudden my nurse rushed in and asked if he was okay because his pulse was 18!!! (Normal is around 60.) So all these doctors rushed in to try to get his pulse back up. They suspected that he had a heart attack (he'd already had several), so they were going to check his troponin levels. A HEART ATTACK, right there and then while he was drinkin CHOCOLATE MILK! He was such a nice guy...he kept saying, "Boy that's good..." any time he took a bite. Well, I think that's what he said, but he didn't have any teeth and his voice was really low, so it was kind of hard to understand.
As for today, I went to Ft. Hood to work with the Public Health Nurse. She was way cool. We gave alot of flu shots and flumist. There were so many people, I lost count of how many I gave. I'm surprised because most folks said they couldn't even feel it...but it's an IM injection! I would think that would hurt a little bit. We had lunch at the mall food court and it was weird/cool seeing everyone dressed identically. Except for me and my buddy who were in head to toe purple : ) It's a whole new world there....
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment