Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I'll have a hip, please.

Today I went and observed hip surgeries! At first I didn't know how I would handle surgery, because I've heard stories of the smells and the surgeons pounding on the patients. They're all pretty much true.

During the first surgery, I was way surprised by the smell and by how forceful the surgeon was...I mean, he has to do what he has to do, but still it was a shock. Like, there was hammering with heavy objects. But, there was also music playing in the background, people were singing along, and it was a light-hearted atmosphere. They were even talking about all the pranks they would play on their teachers and friends in high school. By the time the second and third surgeries occurred, all of the noises and scents seemed almost normal. I just had to keep telling myself, "Okay, they can't feel this or hear this..."

I'll spare you the detail of the surgery, but it was amazing how quickly it happend...the surgeon was in there for half an hour, tops. And, the patient that got done with surgery at 9am was walking by 1pm! My accomplishments for the day included putting in a foley catheter and scrubbing in (a big process) so I could cut off sutures! After I scrubbed in, the Nurse Tech (who hands stuff to the surgeon) was really helpful in demonstrating the correct way to hand off the instruments...I didn't even think about there being a right or wrong way.

Basically, I loved the OR. It was fun.

2 comments:

Krista said...

wow! I miss so much ine one day! hip surgeries?! you sound like you're an intern on a big hit show (haha)! I'm glad you are learning SO much! :)

allye said...

I want to see a hip surgery! Sounds so cool!!! What did it smell like??