Friday, February 16, 2007

What's this? (*points at blood pressure stand*)

These past two weeks have been c-razy.

Last week was my first week in clinicals. It was scary, and rightly so. My patient had an altered mental status and the first day didn't even talk to me or respond when I asked her questions. It was actually probably better that way because I didn't know what I was doing. It took me about 3-4 tries to get the blood pressure. They had the fancy-schmancy automatic machines to take it and none of us knew how to use it. With the family all standing there that can be pretty embarrassing.

The second day she DID talk. It was exciting, and boy did she have things to say. My friend, Jennifer, came in to help me change the sheets and my patient started talking about how she (Jennifer) was a helicopter pilot. It was funny. Our unit is busy, so the nurses aren't really very helpful. I can completely understand why, I just don't like it. :/ It was a pretty bad first week of clinicals, actually. I was feeling bad (coughing alot, tingly/hurting skin, hurting eyeballs, TONS of drainage, and low fever) so that didn't really help things.

This week at clinicals, I had a very talkative man and I even got to go with him to get his ECG done. It was pretty much a sonogram of the heart and it was amazing. The heart is so beautiful! I've read about and studied the heart before--the steps involved to make it move and such. To see it actually work all at once was an experience. It moves so joyfully, almost dance-like, with the valves opening and closing, clapping and clapping. :D It made me happy.

My patient was very particular. He wanted 3 socks on, 3 blankets on his bed, not to be interrupted while he ate his breakfast, and the door kept closed at all times. It made me really nervous! But, we kind of bonded after his EKG because we were waiting forever to be picked up by the transportation people, so I think he liked me--even though he knew I was pretty clueless. I did learn a very important thing, however--always act confident, even when you're not. It makes a big difference in the way people interact with you. I need to work on my poker face. :) 2 weeks down, lots more to go!!!!!
This is all going to be good :D

2 comments:

allye said...

You are sounding so much better Lauren- I love it, and I'm so happy. :D

I'm glad you had a good week...not easy, but good! That is how you know your doing what you're supposed to be doing, when it makes you joyful to see a heart on a screen.

weirdo.

ha, just kidding, that would be really cool.

love you!

Krista said...

I love this blog!! :) It is perfect for you.

Could being a nurse of the heart be for you? What do they call that... a cardiac nurse?